Saturday, August 04, 2007

Backtracking - Before leaving for Tonga

Hi Everyone!!

Well, my time here in Connecticut with my family is quickly flying by and very soon I will be leaving for a visit to Los Angeles, quick Peace Corps orientation, and then the long flight to Tonga!! I can't wait!! Those of you who have seen the way that I pack for vacations (and moving) will be shocked to know that I have already begun my packing and will probably finish tomorrow...that is if I can fit everything into my two bags. Do you have any idea how hard it is to pack for two years using two not-very-big bags?! 'Oiaue! (Tongan expression of grief, excitement or concern - just don't ask me how to say it!) Fakapo! (Tongan for Good heavens! or Good gracious!) When I am done perhaps I will say Malie! Malie! (Bravo, splendid, hurray!) Peace Corps sent me an introducation to Tongan language CD & booklet which I have been listening to while I pack, unfortunately I seem to be unable to retain any of what I have heard. Oh my!

Anyways, I am writing because I wanted to let everyone know that I now have an address - yippee! I think that once I go to my permanent location in January, my address may change, but for now feel free to write to me at this address. (In other words, I am strongly hinting again that I would like you all to write to me so that I can be like the cool kid in summer camp who gets all the letters! Oh yeah, and so that I can keep in touch with you and here all about all the fabulous things that you are all doing as well.) Here it is:

Carly Anderson, PCV
Peace Corps
PO Box 147
Nuku'alofa, Tonga
South Pacific

Peace Corps recommends that packages be sent in padded envelopes if possible, as boxes tend to be taxed and opened more frequently. Unfortunately it appears that there is a high incidence of theft and heavy customs taxes (past experience in foreign countries has taught me that the taxes can sometimes be more expensive than the articles inside the package.) The mail service is not as efficient as U.S. Postal Service so letters can take 2-4 weeks to arrive in Tonga. It is also suggested that all letters be numbered and dated so we can all see how long it takes a letter to get to Tonga and know if any letters are missing. Oh, and postcards should be sent in envelopes because otherwise it sounds like the post office just hangs them on the wall instead of delivering them. :)

Ok, that is it for mailing instructions. It also sounds like I will probably have access to email, just not every day - maybe once a month or so.

Happy Thoughts Everyone!!
-Carly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home